School playgrounds support the health and development of the whole child—their physical health, as well as their social and cognitive skills. A playground that challenges children to practice these skills is a great investment, but school administrators often worry about playground funding.
That’s why we offer several easy-to-implement fundraising programs, a playground grant guide, purchasing contracts along with financing and leasing options to help schools turn their playground dreams into a reality.
School Playground Fundraising Ideas
There are many fun, easy and effective ways to help fund your school playground project. Whether it’s a car wash, bake sale, walk-a-thon, or working with local restaurants to donate profits, we can help you set up a highly profitable school playground fundraising campaign and help you work through all the details including making sure that there is a defined role for each stakeholder — administrators, teachers, PTO — to maximize participation and results.
Some partners we work with to enhance your school playground fundraising efforts include:
- FundMonkey is web-based, campaign management software designed to accept online donations, communicate with participants, improve participation and increase overall donations. FundMonkey can turn any school event into a successful fundraiser with the use of technology and marketing materials. Schools can save time and raise more money, as much as 30 percent or more than a DIY fundraising event. Request a free sample kit.
Learn more about the various fundraising options available for your school.
School Playground Grants
Playground grants are a great way to get funding for your school playground. There is nearly always money available, you just have to know where to look.
Our Grant Guide provides a listing of federal and state grant programs, as well as grants offered by organizations and corporations to help you navigate the school playground grant process. Our comprehensive guide is updated annually and includes links to the following grant applications:
- National grant funding organizations
- Funding programs offered in each state
- Grants provided to nonprofits based on the location or area being served
- International grant opportunities
For example, the Grant Guide includes information about Lowe’s grant program for k-12 public/charter schools along with information about the American Academy of Dermatology national shade structure program that awards funds to schools for installing permanent shade structures. These are just two examples of the national programs included in the Grant Guide. There are also location specific grant opportunities for each state as well as international opportunities.
This valuable resource makes it easy for schools to supplement funding for new playground equipment. For the most up-to-date information, contact us at 888-438-6574, to request your Grant Guide or contact your local playground consultant.
10 Tips to Writing a Grant for Your School Playground
Effectively secure grant funds for your new school playground by following these guidelines.
- Before you begin writing, start with an outline of your proposal.
- Make sure your goals and activities are stated clearly.
- Pay attention to the grant requirements and write directly to them.
- Keep it short and sweet. Write clearly, concisely and professionally.
- Write as if you have already been funded for the grant and are explaining what you will be doing.
- Make sure each question has been answered in full.
- Allow plenty of time for reviews and approvals of required stakeholders so the grant can be submitted on time.
- To make your grant proposal stand out, use visuals whenever possible, including playground design ideas.
- Carefully read and edit your proposal.
- Ask someone not familiar with your program to review the grant proposal for clarity.
Additional Ways to Fund Your School Playground
General Services Administration (GSA) contracts and leasing are more ways to overcome the funding hurdle.
Buying cooperatives can expedite and simplify the purchasing process. These contracts are nationwide government-procurement services that establish competitively priced contracts for goods and services, including playground equipment for schools, with the assurance that all contracts have been awarded through a competitive, public bidding process that is compliant with state bidding statutes.
Any tax-based agency or non-profit 501c can take advantage of this easy-to-use, no-cost service. Enroll by completing a short registration process. Then purchase Landscape Structures’ playground equipment at a great price through HGACBuy, National Association of State Procurements Officials (NASPO), National Cooperative Purchasing Alliance (NCPA), National Joints Powers Alliance® (NJPA), The Cooperative Purchasing Network® (TCPN) or The Interlocal Purchasing System (TIPS/TAPs).
If you’re eligible to buy through the GSA pricing schedule, we’ll help you expedite the purchasing process and save money—compared to the standard bid process—using our GSA contract. Our GSA Contract Number is GS-07F-0440N.
We've aligned with National Cooperative Leasing to provide schools with efficient financing solutions for playground equipment. With lease-purchase options, you can build your school playground today and fund it over time.
Contact us to learn more about the various ways to fund your school playground.