We’re part of the solution
In January 2008, Landscape Structures entered into a partnership with Global ReLeaf®, a program of American Forests, to directly offset the carbon dioxide (CO2) produced in the manufacturing of each of our play systems and skateparks. For each playground play system and Skatewave® skatepark it produces, Landscape Structures will make a donation to purchase enough trees to offset the total amount of CO2 generated at its Delano, Minn., facility.
About Global ReLeaf
Global ReLeaf has a mission to plant 1 million trees around the globe by 2020. Planting trees is a simple way to help create a more sustainable planet. Trees count—every tree planted improves the environment. Healthy forests filter water, remove CO2 and other pollutants from the atmosphere, and provide homes and nourishment for wildlife.
Planting trees around the globe can help:
- Beautify our landscapes
- Provide wood for construction and heating
- Provide sources for pharmaceuticals and life-saving medicines
- Shade our parks and streets, and lower the urban heat island effect
- Reduce noise pollution
- Prevent soil erosion
- Reduce the use of energy in cooling homes and offices
- Provide windbreaks around our homes
- Produce berries, nuts and fruits
Here are just few examples of the 2007 Global ReLeaf plantings:
- 75,000 trees in California’s Eldorado National Forest
- More than 550,000 trees in the National Forests of Florida
- 14,000 trees in 21 acres of Minnesota’s Superior National Forest
- 65,000 trees in Montana’s Bitteroot National Forest
- 25,000 trees in Wyoming’s Bighorn National Forest
Landscape Structures is the exclusive playground and skatepark manufacturer that is partnered with Global ReLeaf. Here are some of the other Global ReLeaf partners helping to make a difference:
- The Home Depot®
- The Coca-Cola Company
- John Paul Mitchell Systems®
- Earthbound Farm®
- Eddie Bauer®
- CLIF® Bar & Company
- Crystal Geyser®
Famous and Historic Trees
In addition to Global ReLeaf, American Forests also has a Famous & Historic Trees program that brings history alive through authentic, direct descendents of trees that shaded the lives of famous people, events and places.
More than 100 varieties of trees are available for purchase through the Famous & Historic Tree Nursery including a redbud from George Washington's River Farm, a honey locust from Gettysburg, a red maple from Walden Woods and a sweetgum from Graceland. This is a unique way to incorporate history into your park and playground for future generations.
American Forests has been researching and documenting the history of trees since 1917. Learn more at www.historictrees.org.