Foundation was created and funded by Barb King
, the late president of Landscape Structures, and is a registered nonprofit organization. The Foundation is the result of Barb's passion for kids, her commitment to healthy living and focus on a sustainable and healthier future for all of us.
The Säjai Foundation
- Develops effective learning programs, tools and resources that teach kids ages 6 to 11 about the Energy Balance concept and approach to healthier living
- Promotes and sells developed programs and products to youth-serving agencies in urban areas
- Provides education to help individuals and families to implement lifestyle changes that foster healthy living
- Harnesses the power of experts, volunteers and stakeholders to build community support and role models for kids
- Creates measurement standards in children for behavior change
New concept and curriculum
The Säjai Foundation has developed the Wise Kids® curriculum which focuses on the Energy Balance concept. Simply put: Calories IN = Calories OUT. This simple theme provides a framework for decision-making around smart nutrition and activity choices. It promotes a healthy, life-long approach to staying in balance for good health.
The Foundation offers both unique after-school programs and park and recreation programming, to offer the greatest access for kids to these comprehensive programs within their community.
Säjai® Foundation aquired by Camp Fire
In May 2013, the Säjai Foundation merged with Camp Fire to bring the Säjai Foundation's Wise Kids® programs, and Barb King's legacy, to a much wider, national audience than Wide Kids was able to reach on its own. Camp Fire serves over 250,000 youth and families in communities across the country.
Wise Kids will advance all three of Camp Fire's focus areas - Environmental and Camp, Out of School Time Programs, and in the future, Teen Services and Leadership. The legacy of Barb King will continue so that all children and famiiles learn to lead healthy lives.